Top Tabs

Sunday, September 30, 2018

How To Save the World


Greetings human life forms! You are alive because your parents thought babies were cute. The longest living animal in the world is a giant tortoise named Jonathan, who is 186 years old. Most of us humans will putter out between 70 and 80 years. So, what do we do during the brief time we are here? Suntan on yachts? Watch Pee-wee Herman reruns? No, wait, I got it — we can try to make the world better. Why? Because it makes us feel better? No, actually because it's our responsibility.

Okay, I'm getting old and cranky and I sometimes forget to feed my fish. But I'm still able to discern between a closet and bathroom, so maybe there's hope for me. So, during my limited time here as an oxygen consumer, I'll pass on a few tips.

Toad the Toad's Tips for Saving Earth

Don't fret because as individuals there's only so much we CAN do to save the Earth. I realize that the vast majority of people on this planet are in basic survival mode, and won't have time to do the things below, and that's perfectly okay. But, if you are able to make a difference and want to put some special meaning in your life, try these simple tips:
  1. Volunteer - Give your time and money to help other humans, animals, and the natural world. Follow your personal calling and do what's right in your heart. I consider financial gifts a form of volunteering as well.
  2. Get Political- People give a barrel of excuses for not getting involved in the political process, but this is the most important thing we can do. We live in a republic where we elect people to represent us at the local, state, and national levels. It's only logical that we elect people that kinda think and feel like we do. But if you don't support or vote for these good people then the corporatists and religionists will shoo their usual puppets in, and we'll see the usual mess of politicians pursuing narrow religious agendas or changing public policy to benefit the wealthy. Find politicians who support the environment and work for the general good of all. And if someone ever says, "I don't like talking politics," that only shows me that the individual is weak. Politics affect every aspect of our life and to avoid it is a travesty.
  3. Personal Behavior - We can save the Earth personally in two ways: Lifestyle changes and self growth. Lifestyle changes is the source of many future blog posts, but for now I'll just say that we should take care of ourselves, minimize our ecological footprint, and help others when we can.
I like how the Star Wars movies simplify everything into Dark Energy and Light Energy. Everything I listed above is Light Energy. On the flip side, when you harm yourself through addictions, when you live for your own comfort at the expense of others, and when you harm the environment, that's Dark Energy. 

Support an Organization

On the right of my blog I've listed l4 top sustainability organizations that pursue the main goals of my life: help people, help animals, help the natural world. Most of them are staff-driven and offer few volunteering opportunities but you can still support them with a monthly donation. I am a huge fan of the Sierra Club because it offers local volunteering opportunities, is politically involved, and has a large staff and foundation that works on national and global issues. Plus, the Club has an outings program where you can enjoy the outdoors.

Note that the people-helping organizations I've listed don't just give handouts. Rather, they give people the tools and knowledge for living sustainable lives. I define sustainability as having your basic needs met and living in a way that does not harm the environment. Indigenous people living in small villages are far closer to that goal than any American, so we have a lot of work to do.

Will We Really Save the World?

We have to be stronger, more diligent, and persistent than the forces of darkness that support the status quo and who push agendas that lead to immediate profit and pleasure at the expense of the long-term. I do love the organization Greenpeace because their name says it all — "green" and "peace." 

And, with that, my friends, I will slither back into my cave. Stay tuned next week for more of my mindless ranting and blithering, as I slowly descend into insanity. But, oh wait, I just saw plenty of mindless ranting with our U.S president this week and his Supreme Court nominee. So, maybe, just maybe, I'm not the one going insane after all.



unsplash-logoPhoto: Jeffrey Wegrzyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for requiring verification of comments. I had to do this because of all the spam.